Sunday, March 31, 2013

Canadian meal restaraunts in the United States really want to know what tips?

Real question by ezdoughboy: Do Canadians really not know what to tip when eating in American restaraunts?

I waited tables for three years in a US/Canadian border city. The restaraunt I worked at was very close to a major shopping center and this attracted many Canadian customers due to the absense of certain taxes on clothing. On the weekends our clientele would consist of aprox. 40% Canadians. The great majority of Canadians were TERRIBLE tippers. In conversation with a table of Canadian customers I once indicated that servers make much less than minimum wage (at that time I was making $ 3.25 an hr). The customers were shocked and didnt believe me. Before anyone comes in here with, “Well you must have been a bad server!” Understand that by the age of 25 I already own my own home and have 3 rental units. Anyways whats the deal with all these bad tippers?


This really is important facts about Do Canadians really not know what to tip when eating in American restaraunts? that you may want to resolve issues their selves. With luck , this helps in lots of ways, and make your life much better. Desiring important facts about Do Canadians really not know what to tip when eating in American restaraunts? may very well be an answer tomorrow.

Most practical answer:


Answer by redunicorn

I would not have thought Canadians were any different than Americans at tipping.


Answer by johny0802

My experience with Canadians, mostly retired, agrees with your experience. Most Canadians see themselves as totally self-sufficient, not needing anyone to provide them with everyday substance. Yet, they are among the most taxed people in the World. Most dislike their gov taxation programs and their gov welfare state mentality. To give something to someone else for service rendered is contrary to their way of life.


Answer by Big T

As a Canadian I have to disagree. The people you served were attracted to the area by the cheap clothes….therefore they must have not been very “Big Spenders”

I always tip a MIN of 10%, or 15%-20% for above average service. Thats really bad that they only paid you $ 3.25/Hr, I was a server for a few years here in Vancouver, BC, Canada and was paid min. wage which was $ 8.00/Hr at the time, plus tips…which was about $ 100 per night. You guys are getting screwed over!

But, yeah Canadians know about tipping. Its not a mystery to us, you must have served the poor and or cheap people!


Answer by lori d

not to be stereotypical, I have waited tables on and off for about 16 yrs, very few and far between do I serve someone from canada that actually tips the customary 15 to 20 %


usually they leave just a couple bucks, and seriously I don’t suck as a server. and it can’t be that I am getting all the cheap old folks either.

they have got to know what the customary thing is to do here.


I generally make 20 % of my sales 90% of the time. I make almost as much as my high powered executive husband, when you factor in how many hours I work vs how many he works, and what we each take home bi weekly.

so I really don’t want to hear about how bad my service must have been.

because that is not the problem.


I am not trying to sound like a b***h. I don’t really care what they tip, I am still going to smile and serve them like I would any other guest that comes through my section.

because well… thats my job. you take the good with the bad.


Acknowledge better?

Provide your reply to this question below!


Installing the DNS service on a Windows 2003 server and updating the root servers to the latest. Also, testing the DNS service with an XP workstation using t…


Folding@Home Servers


Photograph by just Folding@Home Servers


Servers for the DSLR Foldy project


Canadian meal restaraunts in the United States really want to know what tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive